Why read: Wondering what to get for Father’s Day on a tight budget? Here’s a list of ideas for great DIY and free Father’s Day gifts your dad will love!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click highlighted links and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
So what’s a great gift for Father’s Day?
Dads can be notoriously difficult to shop for, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find a unique and thoughtful gift for him this Father’s Day.
Sentimental or DIY Father’s Day gifts are always a nice choice!
If you wonder what to do for Father’s Day on a tight budget, this gift guide will give you some great ideas for unique Father’s Day gifts that won’t cost you a dime.
In fact, a homemade gift is often more meaningful than anything you could buy!
Many of these are also perfect as DIY Father’s Day gifts from small kids. They’ll need their mom’s help, of course.
Here are a few fun ideas for free Father’s Day gifts that are creative and sweet.
Sentimental Free Father’s Day Gifts He’ll Love
It’s not just mothers who love to receive sentimental handmade gifts for Mother’s Day.
Dads love it too! This Father’s Day, show dad how much he means to you with any of these cool and free Father’s Day gifts.
1. There’s nothing quite like a handwritten card to show how much you care. The best Father’s Day cards are handmade! Whether it’s a poem, happy Father’s Day quotes, a list of reasons why you love him, or just a simple “Happy Father’s Day,” he is sure to appreciate the sentiment. The best part is that kids of all ages can make these!
2. If you’re feeling crafty, put together a photo collage or scrapbook filled with memories of good times together. This could be anything from photos to ticket stubs to postcards. You can include candid photos from life at home, vacation photos, or formal photos from memorable milestones like graduation or weddings. Better yet: include a variety of photos so he can revisit a lot of different special memories as a father.
3. Create a book of all your favorite “dad” jokes. Be sure to include some of your dad’s favorite silly jokes, too. And then have a good laugh together!
4. Make a keepsake gift for the father figure in your life using your hand or footprint. This would be an awesome Father’s Day gift for new dads, who’d love to have their baby’s prints as a keepsake.
Child Handprint Keepsake Gift For Father’s Day
Create a one-of-a-kind keepsake gift with the child’s handprint that the dad will cherish for years to come. Choose from 10 different designs!
5. Record a video telling your dad why he’s the best and sharing some of your favorite memories of having a great time with him.
6. Write a heartfelt letter expressing your gratitude for everything your dad has done for you.
7. Another cute idea is to make a “World’s Best Dad” award complete with an impressive list of all his accomplishments.
8. Design a poster or sign with an inside joke or memorable quote between the two of you.
9. Write a thoughtful social media post honoring your dad and share it along with some photos of you together.
10. Make a list of all the things you admire and respect about him. Or fill in the “All About My Dad” printable questionnaire that you can get on Etsy for less than $3.
“All About My Dad” Fill In The Blanks Interview Card
A meaningful gift for Father’s Day that will make him feel loved and appreciated.
11. Write a poem or song expressing your love and appreciation for him. If you or your siblings play any instruments, you could even put on a Father’s Day performance. These are some of the best songs about family for inspiration.
DIY Free Father’s Day Gifts That Are Easy To Make
If you’re scrambling to find the perfect gift for dad that is inexpensive and sweet, why not make one yourself? Father’s Day crafts are always the best gifts that the whole family can enjoy making! So get crafty and make a homemade meaningful gift for your dad’s day.
So what are the best homemade Father’s Day gifts?
Here is a list of some cool DIY free father’s day gifts that he’s sure to love! Include DIY gift tags with the gifts for a cool look.
Many of these are also great as a last-minute gift as they are simple and creative.
12. Make a beard oil from simple ingredients you have on hand like olive oil, sweet almond oil, and essential oils to help him take care of his facial hair. Here is a great DIY beard balm recipe you can try.
13. Make a playlist of his favorite songs or put together a collection of essays, stories, or articles about things he’s interested in. And watch your dad’s face lit up with joy!
14. For the dapper dad, a handmade tie is the perfect gift. You can find Father’s Day tie templates online or get creative and design your own pattern. Just make sure it’s something he’ll actually want to wear!
15. Make him a new wallet from scratch with scrap materials.
16. Upcycle a piece of furniture or decor for his office. You can often find free used furniture online or at yard sales. You can repaint or refinish it to make it a whole new piece!
17. Compile a list of recommended books, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and websites for him based on his interests.
18. Craft a coin container from a mason jar and washi tape for him to save his spare change.
19. Make him a custom keychain by braiding leather string together and adding a keyring. A handmade gift is always extra special.
20. Create a board game based on inside jokes or family memories. You can make pieces shaped like your family members and create rules based on silly family traditions and make the game totally unique.
21. Interview your dad about his life and experiences and then transcribe the conversation or turn it into a home movie. Give it a fun name like “Superhero Father”!
22. Make him a DIY coupon book with several coupons saying “this coupon is good for one big hug”, or “this coupon is good for help with yard work”, etc.
23. Create a jar of dad jokes. For the dad who loves to make you groan with his puns, compile a list of his greatest hits on punny cards. Write them down on slips of paper and put them in a jar for him to enjoy (and share) over and over again.
24. Make art for his wall. You can paint a picture or do a photo wood transfer.
25. Make him a custom t-shirt with all of his kids’ and grandkids’ handprints on it.
26. Create coasters from photos of the two of you or images that represent things he loves.
27. Put together a rock picture frame with his favorite photo of you together.
Helpful Father’s Day Gifts Any Dad Would Appreciate
Any dad needs a helping hand every now and then. So why not spoil him with something that will make his life just a little bit easier? Plus, it’s a great way to spend some quality time together!
28. Clean out the garage or work on another home improvement project together. It’s always nice to have an extra set of hands around, and your dad will appreciate the help!
29. Help your dad organize his closet, workshop, garage, or home office.
30. Fix something around the house that he’s been meaning to get to.
31. Offer to do something for him that he doesn’t like to do or is too busy to do, like yard work, taking out the trash, or dealing with car maintenance.
32. For younger kids a homemade coupon book filled with personal promises like “good for one backrub,” “good for one night of uninterrupted sleep,” or “good for one day of not having to do any chores” would be a great surprise. You can even make the book more fun by drawing little pictures to go along with the coupons. Or design printable coupons with mom!
33. Detail his car or wash it for him. It’s great to have a clean car and you can even do it as a surprise. For younger kids, this can be a fun activity to do together!
Fun Father’s Day Gifts And Activities You Can Do Together
In today’s busy, technology-driven age it’s always nice to take a break and do fun things with the people you love the most.
Create memories your dad will cherish for years to come by organizing entertaining activites you can do together. And have fun!
34. Start a new Father’s Day tradition like playing his favorite sport together in the backyard or watching his favorite movie with the whole family.
35. Bake your dad his favorite treats or cook him a special meal. If you really want to go all out, you can put together a picnic basket with all of his homemade favorites and invite him for some fun family time in the local park.
36. Host a Father’s Day backyard game like a water balloon toss, sprinkling with a hose, three-legged race, or egg and spoon race.
37. Set up a trivia game about your dad with questions about his life, interests, and experiences.
38. Have a picnic in the park or your backyard complete with your dad’s most favorite foods and favorite candies. And spend a perfect day relaxing and enjoying each other’s company.
39. Volunteer together at a local soup kitchen, animal shelter, or other organization.
40. Take a walk down memory lane by looking through old family photo albums or home movies.
41. Spend the whole day together. Start a conversation about something you know he’s passionate about and really listen to what he has to say.
32. Organize a fun activity or outing with your dad and his friends. It doesn’t have to cost anything: you could play a pick-up game of basketball, go on a fishing trip, or have a cookout in the backyard. Just spending time together is what really counts!
43. Take him on a virtual tour of a museum, art gallery, or historical site that he’s interested in.
44. Gift him a plant or flowers that he can watch grow over time.
One Last Thing
No matter which one you choose from these free Father’s Day gifts, all that matters is that it comes from the heart.
Make sure to let your daddy know how much you love and appreciate him this Father’s Day. At the end of the day, that’s all he really wants from those he loves.
Let me mention, that all of these DIY father’s Day gift ideas are also great as dad birthday gifts. To save the list for later, Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board!
Have you ever given a free Father’s Day gift to your dad? What was it? Tell us about it in the comments below!